FOOD!

Some favourite healthy snacks from Alice...



*disclaimer* I am not a nutritionist so this may not be very scientific but I do like food and I think that recovery after a training session is just as important as the training session itself. Everybody needs to refuel and rehydrate as soon as possible after any hard training to gain the maximal adaptations from what they’re doing. Otherwise they risk fatigue, sore muscles, illness and not being able to train as well next time around.
I’m sure I’m not alone in sometimes struggling to eat a full meal straight after a training session, and it’s not always practical when you need to drive home or you’re away in a forest/housing estate somewhere! Wherever possible I try to have a post training snack within 15 minutes of finishing. Here are some of my faves:


Smoothie:
  • 1 banana
  • 1 handful oats
  • 200ml milk
  • 1 handful frozen cherries
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
Put everything in a blender and wizz until smooth.
This is my absolute favourite thing to have post-intervals. We don’t usually finish training until 8:45pm and it can be 9:30pm before I get home which is too late to eat a big meal. This smoothie gives the right balance of carbs, protein, fluids and electrolytes to recover and is thankfully something that my stomach can handle after a high intensity training session.

Yoghurt
A high protein yoghurt (something like fage / skyr / greek yoghurt) with your favourite toppings. I like raspberries, pumpkin seeds and macadamia nuts (for no particular reason other than that they're tasty).

Flapjack
This is a good way to immediately replenish some carbohydrates, especially if you’re travelling and can’t keep dairy-based foods fresh. Pair with a cup of tea for a top recovery!
Melt 200g of butter with 250ml of honey and 100g of dates. Add 400g of rolled oats and 80g of desiccated coconut. Place in a tin and bake at 180 degrees c until golden. 

Peanut butter rice cakes

Just because they're delicious :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine Tuning in Estonia

The Weekend of Sprints

WE NEED YOUR HELP